French anti-terrorism investigators have taken over the probe into an armed man's attempt to force his way into the Eiffel Tower. The alleged terrorist, of 19 years old, was captured when violating at 23:30 local time on August 5 one of the controls for access to the facility when he shouted of "Allahu Akbar" (Allah is the biggest), and a knife was seized with which he allegedly meant to attack the guards.
The suspect told police he wanted to attack a solider and had been in contact with an Islamic State jihadist, the AFP news agency reported. The man was arrested at the scene and no one was hurt but the tower had to be evacuated.
The suspect was born in Mauritania in 1998, but has French citizenship, the official said.
Controversial assembly begins in Venezuela
The US Treasury Department later froze Maduro's US assets and called him a "dictator" for pushing ahead with the election. Many in the worldwide community have rejected the assembly, including the Vatican and the European Union.
The incident took place around 11:30 p.m. local time and the suspect was "very quickly overpowered and arrested", the company that runs the tower said in a statement.
He was wearing a Paris Saint-Germain football shirt.
France has been under a highly sensitive situation since the November 2015 assaults in the capital that left 130 individuals dead.
Anti-terrorism prosecutors are investigating the incident.
Most of those attacks were claimed by Islamic State.