White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders says President Donald Trump's National Security Adviser, H.R. McMaster "isn't going anywhere", despite reports that he will be joining a string of advisers leaving the administration.
McMaster has grown increasingly frustrated with President Trump and is considering retiring to the Pentagon, Reuters reported last week. Stephen Biegun, who had served as a staff member under Condoleezza Rice under the George W. Bush administration is being considered as the top choice for the next security advisor.
McMaster had no close ties to Trump before he was appointed in February 2017 and chose to remain a serving three star lieutenant general in the US Army.
She also downplayed claims the White House was in a state of "chaos" because of the number of senior staffers coming and going.
Trump and McMaster have had an uneasy relationship.
Which airlines have canceled flights today?
Flight operations will NOT resume until Saturday morning, meaning there will be no flights to or from Dublin Airport tomorrow. Good news for anyone travelling with the airline over the weekend. .
White House deputy press secretary Raj Shah issued a similarly dismissive statement, saying, "We frequently face rumor and innuendo about senior administration officials".
McMaster has clashed with President Donald Trump during his tenure, most recently when Trump rebuked him last month on Twitter for neglecting to defend his 2016 victory while discussing US claims that Russian Federation meddled in the election.
Hicks had said part of her role working for Trump involved occasionally telling white lies, in a comment made as she appeared before the House intelligence committee on Tuesday, The New York Times reported. "President Trump said that the NBC News story is 'fake news, ' and told McMaster that he is doing a great job", Anton told reporters on Thursday.
Aides have discussed for some time an exit strategy for McMaster, who has clashed with Trump on policy matters, including Iran and Afghanistan strategy.
There was discussion in the West Wing about replacing him last fall, but he ultimately survived because officials, including the President himself, were skeptical about the optics of appointing a third national security adviser in less than a year, several sources told CNN.