Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the deadly attack on Election Commission Headquarters in the Libyan Capital of Tripoli, the Al Arabiya broadcaster reported on Wednesday.
According to preliminary data, broke into the office one or two suicide bombers who blew themselves up.
But as several media outlets pointed out, it took place as officials were registering voters for elections that are expected to take place later this year.
The attack appeared aimed at derailing efforts to organise elections in Libya by the end of this year, part of a United Nations -led attempt to unify and stabilise the country after years of conflict and political division. Reports said they men then engaged security forces in a street battle.
Libya's health ministry published a "provisional toll" of three seriously wounded.
Sharing Spotify Content on Instagram Just Became a Whole Lot Easier
Users don't have to connect their Instagram account to a third-party app, either, if they want to share to their Stories. First and foremost is video calling, which is now in a testing phase and will roll out globally in the coming months.
A 2015 UN-backed deal to set up the unity Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli failed to end the turmoil, as divisions continue with a rival administration in the east.
Observers believe the group might carry out similar attacks to deter Libyans from holding elections.
Earlier this week, the worldwide Quartet trying to help bring order to Libya said it supports holding presidential and parliamentary elections this year, and will provide observers and electoral assistance to ensure the voting is free and fair.
The election commission said later in the day that its electoral database was safe after the attack, dispelling rumors that it had been specifically targeted and damaged.
Human Rights Watch warned last month against rushing the country into elections, saying that the country is too violent and authorities can not guarantee freedom of assembly or free speech essential for a vote.