The Trump administration has identified the missile test engine site that it says North Korea has pledged to destroy, but the president's latest comments about resolving the nuclear standoff have raised new questions about what concessions Pyongyang has made.
Looking forward to the expected transfer, officials said the multinational United Nations Command in South Korea, headed by an American four-star general, would likely receive the remains from North Korean authorities, possibly along the two countries' border.
In a tweet Sunday, Trump said that "holding back the "war games" during the negotiations was my request because they are VERY EXPENSIVE and set a bad light during a good faith negotiation".
That came as a shock to many, as the United States had previously argued that the drills were purely defensive and key to its military alliance with Seoul.
The President did not appear to warn or consult South Korea or the USA military before making the announcement.
Almost 7,700 American service members are listed as unaccounted for from the Korean War, of which an estimated 5,300 were lost in North Korea.
"[Kim's] visit to Beijing shows that North Korea and China are in close coordination", Naoko Aoki, a research associate at the Center for global and Security Studies at University of Maryland, told Mic. "Saying the North Korea problem is solved doesn't make it so".
Gareth Southgate: Media put England at 'disadvantage' by publishing team sheet
The Manchester City man has the pace and movement to cause chaos but 21 internationals without a goal is a damning statistic. From that central position, it is good because I have so many options, I have the ball trying to set up things.
In the joint statement, Kim "reaffirmed his firm and unwavering commitment to complete denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula", but made no reference to a timeline.
The US military has moved 100 wooden coffins to the Korean border to prepare for the return of the remains of American soldiers who have been missing since the 1950-53 Korean War.
In an apparent confidence-building step, the Pentagon and South Korea's military have suspended military exercises. China too has said they do not serve the cause of peace on the Korean Peninsula.
North Korea still possesses hundreds of ballistic missiles, which have not been dismantled, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said.
Also on Friday, the US and South Korea agreed to indefinitely suspend two exchange programme training exercises, to support diplomatic negotiations with North Korea, the Pentagon said.
Promoted to commander of the U.S. Indo-Pacific Command (INDOPACOM) last month, Admiral Philip Davidson gave the assurance during his first official visit to Japan for two days of talks with Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera.