There is currently an emphasis on the signs of Leo and Virgo, an emphasis that will be sustained for the rest of the month and all of September. At the time of this post, the Sun, Venus, and Mars are in Leo with Mercury and Jupiter in Virgo. Jupiter will remain in Virgo for the next 12 months. The Sun will enter Virgo on Sunday, August 23. Mercury leaves Virgo and enters Libra on Thursday, August 27. Mars will stay in Leo for a while, entering Virgo on Thursday, September 24. Venus will remain in Leo until Thursday, October 8, with its retrograde period ending Sunday, September 6.
Putting the bigger picture of these influences on hold for a second and looking at it on a small, day to day scale, the Leo/Virgo influence is creating some focus on looking and feeling prettier and healthier. I’m sure many of you have noticed the sudden urge to get organized, clean our acts up, whether in yourself or others. Leo finds it important to keep up appearance and put our best foot forward. Yeah, its somewhat superficial, but our appearance is the first thing people notice about us and is part of how we are remembered. Leo wants us to look like we take pride in ourselves. Virgo wants us to look like we care about the details and don’t look like a sloppy mess. It is the sign most closely associated with health, and during this intertwining of Leo and Virgo vibes we see how improving our health and organizing our personal spaces reflects in our outer appearance, and vice versa.
Looks and health have been popping up in the conversations around me, so I thought I’d make a short snappy little list of random astro factoids on the two subjects, as well as some observations about the natal chart and the appearance. It is hardly a comprehensive list; I’m just jotting down stuff off the top of my head that might be useful or interesting right now so I’m sure I’ll add to it later…
- The best time to start a diet regimen is when the Moon is in Virgo, especially if it is in the 3rd or 4th quarter Moon phase (the time between the Full Moon and the New Moon.) Virgo prefers to remove things rather than add them to improve health.
- The best time to begin an exercise regimen is when the Moon is in Aries or Sagittarius
- The worst times to begin diet and exercise regimens is when the Moon is in Taurus or Cancer. Comforts are highlighted by these Moons.
- Transiting Jupiter aspecting your natal ascendant/rising, Moon, Venus or natal Jupiter makes you more prone to weight gain.
- Leo season makes hair shed more than usual.
- If you want your hair to grow thicker, longer or faster, cut it during the 1st and 2nd quarters (the time between the New Moon and the Full Moon) and in the signs of Taurus, Cancer, Leo, Libra, and Pisces.
- If you want your hair to grow slower or thin out a bit, cut it during the 3rd and 4th quarters and in the signs of Aries, Gemini, Virgo, Capricorn, and Aquarius.
- Avoid hair chemicals if the Sun, Moon, Mars, or Venus are badly aspected, especially if Saturn is involved.
- Avoid haircuts, buying clothes, or changing your appearance if Chiron is active in your chart that day. It never goes too well with Chiron.
- Transiting Venus aspecting your natal ascendant is the best time to change or improve your appearance, especially when Venus crosses over (conjuncts) your ascendant.
- Very drastic, shocking physical transformations are more often a result of Scorpio or Pluto. This is most noticeable during the year you have Scorpio on the ascendant of the solar return.
- Virgo, Scorpio and Capricorn are more likely than the other signs to cause health problems when on the ascendant of a solar return. Taurus and Leo on the SR ascendant usually indicates good health, or at least some kind of improvement.
- Saturn aspecting the ascendant in the natal chart usually makes a person look older when they are young, and younger than their age as they get older.
- Neptune aspecting the ascendant is more prone than most for dark under eye circles.
- Scorpio types often have an Eddie Munster/”widow’s peak” hairline at their forehead. Scorpio and/or Pluto aspecting the ascendant gives the look of shadowy or “hooded” eyes.
- When trying to get an accurate health diagnosis, avoid the Moon in the mutable signs of Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius and Pisces. Also avoid Moon Void-Of-Course (Moon VOC) in any sign.
- Avoid surgery or dental work (if possible, of course!) when the Moon is Full or in Aries.
- Venus aspecting Jupiter is equally as good for finding bargains as it is for going broke on splurges.
- The best time to look for fashion bargains is when the Moon is in Sagittarius.
- Venus aspecting Neptune or a Pisces Moon makes personal photographs turn out softer and prettier.
I’ll keep updating this post (unless I just make another.) Also, you people with personal planets in Leo have funny ways of sneezing. Haven’t figured that one out yet…