This is the third in a series on progressions. The first looked at the progressed Moon, the second looked at the progressed ascendant. The progressed Sun is not as lengthy a subject, since it does not change as quickly as the Moon and is not as readily apparent as the ascendant. But, the changes it does make when it makes them are substantial.
This is due to the Sun essentially representing the life force of the chart, whether natal or progressed. The progressed Sun only changes signs about three times in a person’s life, which means the change in the direction of the life force remains steady but occasionally gets a full makeover. Here’s some info to keep in mind about the progressed Sun:
- The progressed Sun will not progress through the entire chart, so your progressed Sun will never return to its original place in the natal chart (progressed Sun will never conjunct natal Sun).
- The progressed Sun advances at a steady rate of about one single degree per year.
- When the progressed Sun aspects a planet or angle in the birth chart, the effect lasts approximately three years: one year approaching the planet or angle, one year in exact aspect and one year separating. During this time, any transit to the natal planet or angle is also a transit to the progressed Sun.
- While the progressed Sun will never conjunct the natal Sun, it will form three aspects to the natal Sun: a semisquare around age 45, a sextile around age 60, and a square around age 90. The semisquare coincides with the progressed lunar cycle and Saturn cycles to create fleeting midlife crises; the sextile helps a person enter their second Saturn Return with grace if they handle it well.
- The progressed Moon conjunct, square or opposing the natal Moon can show crises with women, health, family, or the physical home as well as relocation.
- The year that the progressed Sun spends on the anaretic (final) degree of a sign before changing signs is usually an intense year, where one feels they are becoming impatient with the need for change and the seeming inability to make it happen. It is frustrating but it behooves a person to slow down and let the process unfold organically. The anaretic 29th degree shows there’s “unfinished business” to be taken care of first, so that there are no loose ends interfering with the new life force brought by the progressed Sun changing signs.
Newbies can easily figure out their progressions. Go to https://astro.com and put in your birth data, including your time of birth. Save to create your birth chart. Now, go to the “Extended Chart Selection” page. Where it says “please select a chart type” you will just select “Progressed Chart” and click to show the chart. All done!